Photo Challenge: Project 365

Guest-Post-Jill-Blog-Jan.15

Jill Marzion is a family photographer located in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. She is a proud momma and passionately documents the everyday life of her lively household. Check out Jill on Instagram and join her 365 community at @my_365.

What is Project 365

365 days of taking a picture and sharing it socially.

Whether you’re recording memories of your children or you decide on a special theme for your entire project (black and white, mornings, landscape, etc.), the goal is to shoot daily. First and foremost, this project is about documenting your life, your people and your world. Over the course of 365 days, you will challenge your eye and photography skills to find fresh new perspectives. This project is about experimentation and finding beauty in your everyday happenings. After looking back at the past year, some of my absolute favorites are from my project 365.

112114-1-2

Make a Plan

I must admit, I tried this exact project 4 years ago and didn’t stick with it because I needed direction. I found a 365 project on Instagram, and it was a perfect fit for me. This account, @my_365, posts a different topic each day in the form of a hashtag. If you want more creative freedom to do your own thing, that’s totally cool. Make a plan, find what works for you and get into a groove.

072814b

No Skill Level Required

It doesn’t matter if you’re shooting with an iPhone or DSLR, whether you’re brand new to photography or you’re a seasoned pro, any skill level is welcome. This is a journey of creative growth, a chance to do something that is uniquely you. Get creative and try things outside of the box. Then try it from a bunch of different angles.

piece

Sharing is Caring

Pick your preferred social channel and share your snapshots. Whether it’s your blog, Facebook or Instagram, post your photos for your friends and family. Instagram is great for photo projects and you can create a unique hashtag to keep all of your images grouped together. You can also find tons of existing 365 projects for inspiration.

Shooting Tips for your Project 365:

1. Don’t overthink it each day or you will burn out fast.
  2. Bring your camera everywhere and use it.
  3. Get others involved so you have a support team.
  4. Have fun with it!

7  em072014 0816z marzion1

Check out the #PrintYourFeed Instagram Giveaway!

For more photography tips from Jill, check out 6 Key Tips for Composing Your Photos and Capturing the EverydayFind more amazing work from Jill on her websiteblog and Instagram.

30 Responses to “Photo Challenge: Project 365”

1. Cathlin January 6, 2015 at 11:59 am #

Did you do your project with your DSLR everyday? Is there an easy way to get your camera photos to Instagram? I’m intrigued and want to try but a little intimidated about the time it takes to do that part. Thanks!

• jill January 6, 2015 at 12:12 pm #

hey cathlin,

for me i fell in love with the idea of picking up my dslr each day so yes, the majority was done with my canon! some options for getting the image to your instagram is via email, dropbox or eye-fi! let me know if you have more questions…i’d love to help!

• Anne January 7, 2015 at 9:48 am #

Hi Jill! I started a 365 day project last year mainly using my dslr and loved it. Taking the photos was the easy part – I could not keep up with going through the images, doing my standard (minor) edits, then posting to the blog I set up just for the project. So just curious what your process is for getting them from camera to instagram. As a professional photographer, do you feel you need to have a certain amount of editing done to the “final” images, or do you just throw them up SOC? Thanks!

2. Joshua Ben-Ami January 6, 2015 at 1:01 pm #

ok maybe this will help me with my new state of mind on life, haven’t shot an image in 2 years after shooting everything for 30, thanks for the nudge

• jill January 6, 2015 at 3:43 pm #

i think now is the perfect time to jump back in! good luck!

3. Kathleen January 6, 2015 at 1:41 pm #

I’m in my second 365-day project. I did it every day of 2014 and have kept going as 2015 starts. It’s challenging and frustrating and absolutely fun.

• jill January 6, 2015 at 3:44 pm #

sounds like me…once i was hooked and i couldn’t stop! and i love looking back at all the images i probably wouldn’t have taken!

4. Rachael January 6, 2015 at 2:44 pm #

I just started doing a 365 project this year. I had been wanting to do one for a few years and just decided this is my year. I’m not following a plan, just capturing and posting what suits my fancy for the day. Most of the images are going to end up being of my kiddos (3 year old and 6.5 month old). Maybe next year I’ll do more DSLR… Right now I’m just sticking with my iPhone since carrying around my DSLR isn’t most convenient with 2 kids!
    #maclife365

• jill January 6, 2015 at 3:45 pm #

as long as it is what works for you, that is what matters! have fun capturing those little ones….they grow up too darn fast!

5. Patti January 6, 2015 at 3:15 pm #

I am on my seventh year of doing a 365, couldn’t imagine not doing one. It is so much fun looking back on what my year was like.

• jill January 6, 2015 at 3:46 pm #

what patti – that is so impressive! i completely agree…it is an addiction! i can’t stop either 😉

6. Lesley January 6, 2015 at 3:35 pm #

Sounds like a lot of fun but I have no access or ability to have access to Instagram.

• jill January 6, 2015 at 3:47 pm #

that is a bummer lesley. could you still start and just put the images in a certain folder on your phone or computer?

• Dawn January 9, 2015 at 11:46 am #

When I did mine, I posted a picture a day on my Facebook page – not Instagram but still sharing through a social media outlet –

7. Lisa January 6, 2015 at 5:19 pm #

I finally took the leap! I’ve been wanting to do a 365/POD challenge for years. I’m proud to say I’m on day SIX & have posted every day. Go me! I’ve shot some with my iPhone & some with my Canon DSLR. I’ve only posted on FB. Just easier for me. Good luck to all of you joining in this fun challenge. And it’s not too late to start. Don’t be too hard on yourself if you miss some days either. Life is like that sometimes! 🙂

• jill January 7, 2015 at 11:55 am #

congrats lisa! sounds like you figured out a way that works for you and in my opinion that is one of the ways to make it a success! and i completely agree…you can’t be too hard on yourself when attempting something like this or you will quickly become discouraged. good luck!

8. Jean January 6, 2015 at 6:22 pm #

I did something similar last year but wanted to take a photo at the same time every day. I titled my FB album 20:14 and took a photo everyday at 8:14pm I learned a lot mostly that it’s dark most of the year at 8:14 and I drink too much wine as evidenced in a look back at my album. This year I’m going in a new direction #365beautifuldays it’s only a few days in but looking for a thing of beauty each day has been good for the soul

• jill January 7, 2015 at 11:57 am #

i absolutely LOVE that idea! haha…yes, same here — those dark early months are sometimes a little challenging to get through! good luck with your beautiful days project – sounds awesome!

9. Laurie Long January 6, 2015 at 7:46 pm #

I love this idea. I take my camera everywhere . I have one question. I know you must take a picture every day but then must you post it daily. I shoot almost daily now but I am a bit technologically impaired & am not on the computer daily.I post on FB now but haven’t used Instagram or hashtags

• jill January 7, 2015 at 12:04 pm #

hey laurie! well you are definitely off to a great start! instagram is an app that you can download on your phone. it is really great for sharing photos, finding inspiration and meeting people all over the world! there are few ways you can get images to your instagram account; email them to yourself and open them up on your phone, dropbox or even eye-fi! a hashtag is a way to group all the images that anyone has ever used that same hashtag, or you can create unique hashtags to group your personal projects. hope that helps a bit!

10. Carmina January 6, 2015 at 9:41 pm #

Absolutely love Jill’s Instagram account. She’s such an inspiration. It’s hard to document everyday but I’ve definitely started shooting more since I discovered @my_365.

• jill January 7, 2015 at 12:05 pm #

hey carmina….thanks YOU! it definitely can be a challenge, but once you get into a habit of it…it just becomes part of your day! so happy to hear you are doing more shooting! good luck to you!

11. Dawn January 6, 2015 at 10:46 pm #

I completed a 365 project 5 years ago and I loved it. It was often times challenging but I grew as a photographer as the year progressed. I would encourage anyone to try it.

12. bonnie January 7, 2015 at 11:44 am #

So, I just started following @my_365 on Instagram but I don’t understand how the daily hashtag assignment is supposed to work. I like the idea but not sure that I get how it works…?

13. jill January 7, 2015 at 12:06 pm #

i completely agree dawn! it was one of the best things i did for myself in regards to photography!

14. Issac January 26, 2015 at 12:16 am #

Amazing blog! Do you have any helpful hints for aspiring writers?
    I’m hoping to start my own blog soon but I’m
    a little lost on everything. Would you advise starting with a free platform like
    Wordpress or go for a paid option? There are so many options out there that I’m
    totally overwhelmed .. Any tips? Thank you!

15. Colleen K February 18, 2015 at 9:16 am #

I’m taking up this challenge starting on my birthday in March. It will be a count “up” to my 65th B’day.
    Could you put a weeks worth of photos on instagram when life gets ahead of you and you can’t each day?

• Mpix Support February 18, 2015 at 9:48 am #

That’s totally cool, Colleen. As long as you have a plan and stick to it!

16. Dave May 12, 2015 at 1:35 pm #

hi all!! ain’t these fun?? For a twist, try one day, then one night for a couple of weeks to experiment with various lighting situations. Then, a certain hour of the day throughout month or so. Keep up the great enthusiasm. Dave Mitchell

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Project 365 Photo Challenge -- CaseofConsumptionCaseofConsumption.com - February 11, 2015

[…] in the week, I read an article on mpix.com’s blog about Jill Marzion and her Project 365 photo challenge. (Read more about it via the links.) […]